So I’ve been thinking all day about what I should write for this post… And I’ve still come up blank. I mean, because there is just so much to say, it makes it really hard to try and translate it to one simple blog post.
Jesse Jack Barton was born just over one week ago and it seems like so much (and also so little) has happened since he graced us with his presence.
It really has been a week of roller-coaster emotions, lack of sleep and absolute joy. It’s been exhausting and yet exhilarating. I sometimes feel like I still need to pinch myself to make sure this is all happening. I am now a parent. A dad. Responsible for someone other than myself. Today, we even used the parents with prams dedicated car space at our local shops for the first time. I must admit, that was pretty cool.
So what exactly has happened this week then? Well, like I said, not a lot but at the same time, everything. The experience of being new dad is nothing like what I thought it would be. But that said, I wouldn’t change it for anything in the world.
I also have a new found respect for not only Renee, but all mothers around the world. The job that they take on when a child is brought into the world is not one to be taken lightly. I have a new appreciation for the term ‘Super Mum’, because that’s exactly what Renee is.
So why has it been a roller-coaster of a week? Well, here are some quick points that sum up my journey as a new dad so far:
- Changing endless nappies including the dreaded ‘milk’ nappy… That was an experience.
- Feeling absolutely and utterly exhausted after worrying that there were a couple of things wrong with Jesse. His belly button (when the cord fell off) looked bad, he had a weepy eye and he dropped in weight again. All which now appear to be fine.
- Waking up every couple of hours during the night when it’s feeding time yet again. I have so much respect for Renee who takes on most of the responsibility of feeding during the night.
- Feeling content as I sit on the couch and look at Jesse for what feels like hours while he sleeps.
- Feeling absolute joy and overwhelming love every time I cuddle and snuggle with Jesse every day.
One of the question that was asked of us a little while ago when we were waiting to meet our little Jesse, was ‘Who is rocking this parent thing that we can go to for advice?’
Well, I like to think that we are absolutely rocking the hell out of this parenting gig… We are still learning. We are still making mistakes. And we will continue to learn and make mistakes. But I think we are doing an absolutely amazing job. And I think that definitely qualifies us for rocking this parenting gig.
As I said before, I wouldn’t change being a new dad for anything in the world, and I can’t wait to see what challenges and memories it brings in the future.
Being a parent… Love it!!!